Consider the health and safety of everyone who has access to the storage area.
What you can do (in order of priority):
- Risk-assess your storage area for health and safety issues. The suggestions here may not be exhaustive.
- Keep heavier items on ‘middle’ shelves. This means you do not have to stretch to pull them off high shelves, or risk straining your back by lifting them off lower shelves.
- When transporting records, only carry one box at a time. For bigger loads use a trolley if possible.
- You may need equipment to access items on higher shelves – never stand on a chair.
- More than one person should be available to move large, bulky and heavy items.