Great Yarmouth Grammar School
Great Yarmouth Grammar School was founded in 1551 and occupied part of the site of St Mary’s Hospital, on the east side of the Market Place.
The school was based in temporary buildings on Nelson Road until it moved to its permanent site on Trafalgar Road in 1872.
It was officially opened on 6 June 1872 by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII.
Later renamed Great Yarmouth High School, it became coeducational in 1970 and a technology college in 1997.
It is now the Great Yarmouth Charter Academy.
- For a history of the school, see J B Whitehead, A History of the Great Yarmouth Grammar School, 1551-1951 (Great Yarmouth, 1951). There is a copy with the records of Great Yarmouth High School, see D/ED 9/66, 596X7.
- A copy of the School’s anniversary order of service, Celebrating 450 Years in the Life of Great Yarmouth High School (2001) is at the front of the D/ED list in our searchroom.
- For records of Great Yarmouth Grammar School and of the Grammar School foundation, see lists D/ED 9 and Y/ED 163-268.#
- There is a series of admission registers, 1863-1959, see D/ED 9/1-10.
- For this school, we do hold pupils files, including reports, records cards and references (1948-87) - see D/ED 494/1-86 and D/ED 495/1-13. Please note that these files contain personal and sensitive information and they are usually closed to general public access for 75 years.