King Edward VI's Grammar School, Norwich
King Edward VI’s Grammar School (Norwich School) was established by a charter of King Edward VI in 1547.
It moved to its present location in Cathedral Close shortly after its foundation.
We hold some administrative papers of the King Edward VI Charity Foundation (see list MC 2668), but no records of pupils.
The King Edward VI School established a separate commercial school in 1862, later known as the King Edward VI Middle School, in St George’s Street.
- Names of pupils admitted to this school and the grammar school are given in the governors’ minutes, reference ACC 2001/273. For the grammar school, names of pupils are given from 1858-76 and for the commercial school from 1862-80. Thereafter, names of individual pupils admitted are not given in the minutes but, from 1911-46, copies of headmaster’s reports to the governors are included.
- Published histories of the school, copies of which are available in our searchroom, are by:
- R Harries, P Cattermole and P Mackintosh, A History of Norwich School, King Edward VI's Grammar School at Norwich (Norwich, 1991)
- H W Saunders, A History of the Norwich Grammar School (Norwich, 1932)