Information concerning special schools administered by Norfolk County Council, Norwich City Council, or borough councils in Norfolk can sometimes be found in the relevant education committee minutes.
For details of the various education committees, please see our guide Education in Norfolk.
For general registers and extracts of minutes relating to children in special and industrial schools, see the following:
- Norwich Education Department maintained several general registers of children attending special and industrial schools:
- For a ‘Register of blind, deaf and dumb children’, 1893-1919, see N/ED 7/6
- For a ‘Register of blind, deaf and dumb and other defective children admitted to various institutions’, 1894-1931, see N/ED 7/7
- For a register of children at industrial schools, 1892-1927, which includes a list of children discharged from blind and deaf institutes, 1920-29, see N/ED 7/2
- Norfolk County Council kept the following general extracts of minutes and registers of children:
- A register of children at special schools, c1932-47, gives the name of the pupil, home address, details of fees paid with parental contributions and a note of the school attended: it is held by NRO but is not currently on the public catalogue.
- For extracts of minutes of the Norfolk County Council’s health, welfare and special schools sub-committee, 1944-72, see ACC 2005/63