Researching a Norfolk parish church
Consecration records, title deeds and glebe terriers
Consecration records and title deeds
Consecration registers, which survive from 1793, record the consecrations by the bishop of churches, chapels, mission halls and burial grounds: see list DN/CSR.
The consecration papers, 1784-1967, often include the title deeds and a plan of the site: see list DN/CSP. Some of the earlier consecration papers relate to consecrations recorded in the consistory court act books.
Other title papers to church sites are among the diocesan deeds series, c1675-1969 (for indexes see DN/ADR 26) and the augmentation deeds, 1621-1918 (see list DN/AUG)
These documents list the glebe land belonging to the church, giving its acreage and describing its location. They were compiled every few years.
Terriers often contain a description of the churchyard, parsonage house and parish charities, plus a list of church furnishings such as books, vestments and bells.
- They survive for various dates from about 1556: see lists DN/TER and ANW 15
Terriers also survive among the parish records of individual churches, but the diocesan series is usually more complete.
- The descriptions of the glebe land can be compared with the maps surveyed under the 1836 Tithe Commutation Act: see lists DN/TA and DE/TA
- The minute book of the Norwich Diocesan Association for Building and Enlarging Churches, 1844-99, contains lists of grants made from 1836: see list DN/DAB