Nursing and midwifery records
Hospitals A to H
See Wayland Hospital.
See St Michael’s Hospital.
Beccles and District War Memorial Hospital, Suffolk
This hospital was built in 1924.
- Staff salaries and wages registers, 1944-49 (ACC 2002/256)
Bethel Hospital, Bethel Street, Norwich
Built in 1713 for the care of the mentally ill.
- Trustees’ meetings minute books, 1724-1895 (BH 9-20)
- Draft minute book, 1930-37 (BH 1868)
- Wages books: male attendants and nurses, 1930-49 (BH 1873-1874)
- Wages books: kitchen/house staff and hospital helps, 1930-37 (BH 1875)
- Wages books: house staff and hospital helps, 1937-45 (BH 1876)
Bramblewood Sanatorium, Kelling
A privately-run sanatorium for women.
- Photographs of premises, staff and patients, 1920s-1940s (ACC 2006/340)
Established in 1867, moved to Mill Road site in 1932. From 1948 the Cromer Area Hospital Management Committee included:
- Beckham House Hospital
- Cromer District Hospital
- Fletcher Convalescent Home
- Home Place Convalescent Home
- Kelling Sanatorium
- Kelling Children’s Hospital
- Longacre Maternity Home
- North Walsham Cottage Hospital
- Roughton Isolation Hospital
- St Michael’s Hospital, Aylsham
- Wells Cottage Hospital
- Cromer and District Hospital management committee minutes, 1903-39 (ACC 2007/120)
- Cromer and District Hospital management committee minutes and minutes of subsidiary committees, 1939-48 (ACC 2008/268)
- Cromer Area Hospital management committee minutes and minutes of subsidiary committees, 1948-54, 1958-59, 1972 (ACC 2008/268)
- Cromer Area Hospital management committee group no. 10 minutes, 1960-74 (ACC 2000/70)
- Medical and nursing committee minutes, 1932-46 (ACC 2007/120)
- Medical staff committee minutes, 1950-82 (ACC 2008/268)
- Staff working groups minutes, 1958-72 (ACC 2008/268)
- Nurses’ training register, 1951-78 (ACC 1999/47)
- Labour and antenatal case notes, 1982-83, 1986-90 (ACC 2009/93)
See also Fletcher Convalescent Home.
Drayton Hall Maternity Home
See Norwich Maternity Institution.
Earlham Hall Maternity Home
See Norwich Maternity Institution.
East Dereham Hospital
- East Dereham house committee minute book, 1949-67 (ACC 2002/256)
Fletcher Convalescent Home, Cromer
Originally part of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
- Fletcher Convalescent Home committee minutes, 1903-48 (NNH 13/1-5)
See also Cromer Hospital.
Great Yarmouth General Hospital, Deneside
Founded in 1838 and rebuilt in 1888.
- Norwich, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth (group six) hospital management committee minutes, 1948-74 (ACC 2002/264)
- Norfolk Area Health Authority (later known as Norwich Health Authority and East Norfolk Health Authority/Commission) minutes, 1973-96 (ACC 2002/264) and 1996-99 (ACC 2002/288)
- Great Yarmouth house committee minute books, 1948-68 (ACC 2002/256)
- Minutes of meetings of the honorary medical staff (later the medical committee) of Great Yarmouth General Hospital, 1931-46 and of the medical committee of the combined hospitals of Great Yarmouth and Gorleston, 1947-49 (ACC 2000/264)
- Great Yarmouth and Gorleston Hospitals’ staff salaries and wages registers, 1948-49 (ACC 2002/256)
Great Yarmouth Isolation Hospital, Estcourt Road
- Staff salaries and wages registers, 1948-49 (ACC 2002/256)
See also Northgate Hospital.
Hales Hospital, Heckingham
This was formerly Loddon and Clavering Poor Law Union Workhouse.
- Loddon and Clavering Poor Law Incorporation/Union guardians' minutes, 1767-1836, 1836-1930 (C/GP 12/1-65, 91-139)
- House committee minutes, 1914-15 (C/GP 12/201)
- Norfolk County Council Mental Deficiency Acts committee minutes, 1932-48 (C/C 10/370-373)
- Norfolk County Council Mental Deficiency Acts Heckingham sub-committee minutes, 1932-38 (C/C 10/374)
See Hales Hospital.
This was formerly the Norwich City Asylum. It was founded outside St Augustine’s Gates in 1827 and moved to Hellesdon in 1880.
- Workhouse, infirmary [including asylum] and visiting committee, 1849-58 (N/TC 3/58-59)
- Proceedings of committee of visitors to Norwich Infirmary Asylum, 1854-60 (N/S 11/1)#
- Minutes of special sessions regarding lunacy, 1862-64 (N/S 9/3)
- Asylum committee minutes, 1863-1931 (N/TC 17/1-11)
- East Anglian Regional Hospital Board St Andrew’s and Hellesdon Hospitals management committee minutes, 1968-74 (ACC 2010/192)
- Asylum committee annual reports, 1886-1948 (HH 1/1-6)
- St Andrew's and Hellesdon Hospitals management committee annual reports, 1965-67 (ACC 2010/152)
- Superannuation service register, 1880-1915 (HH 2/1)
- Staff case [ie, record book], 1907-37 (HH 34/1)
- Officers' service book, 1910-48 (ACC 2010/152)
- Attendants’ wages book, 1908-10 (HH 15/1)
- Photographs of nursing staff and patients of Hellesdon Hospital and of nurses at Drayton Lodge Nurses' Home, [1930s] (ACC 2009/96)
- Certificates of nursing qualifications of Harry Derere and Doreen Edith Derere (nurses at Hellesdon Hospital), 1937-65 (ACC 2008/211)
Hill House, Wicklewood
This was formerly the Forehoe Poor Law Union Workhouse.
- Forehoe Poor Law Incorporation/Union guardians' minutes, 1780-1837, 1837-1930 (C/GP 8/3-31, 114-152)
- Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 5 minutes (including Wicklewood house committee), 1930-48 (C/GC 5/1-8)
- Attleborough, Wicklewood and Watton house committee minute books, 1948-67 (ACC 2002/256)
- Service register (officers and servants), 1912-29 (C/GP 8/231)
- Matron’s report book, 1914-19 (H 1/80)
Hill House, Pulham Market
This was formerly the Depwade Poor Law Union Workhouse.
- Depwade Poor Law Union guardians' minutes, 1836-1930 (C/GP 3/1-47)
- House committee minutes, 1903-12 (C/GP 3/188)
- Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 12 minutes, 1930-48 (C/GC 12/1-3)
- House committee minutes, 1930-48 (C/GC 12/4-6)
- Salaries record, 1931-46 (H 2/86)
- Nurses’ reports (sick wards), 1941-58 (H 2/143-200)
- Nurses’ reports (maternity wards), 1937-51 (H 2/201-210)
- Nurses’ reports (nursery and mentally defective girls), 1941-49 (H 2/212-218)