Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent by PrivacyPolicies.com

Nursing and midwifery records

Hospitals P to W

Pulham Market 

See Hill House.

St Andrew’s Hospital, Thorpe St Andrew

This was formerly the Norfolk County Asylum. It opened in 1814 and closed in 1998.

  • Minutes of meetings of committee of visiting magistrates (later visitors), 1810-1931 (SAH 1-16)
  • Visiting committee minutes, 1931-48 (ACC 2010/152)
  • Minutes of meetings of committee of visitors to consider special business, 1903-31 (SAH 19-24)
  • East Anglian Regional Hospital Board St Andrew’s and Hellesdon Hospitals management committee minutes, 1968-74 (ACC 2010/192)
  • Minutes of sub-committees, 1914-22 (SAH 25)
  • Annual reports, 1844-1967 (SAH 28-36)
  • St Andrew's and Hellesdon Hospitals management committee annual reports, 1965-67 (ACC 2010/152)
  • Registers of staff, 1915-26 (SAH 66-74)
  • Register of staff (list of changes), 1936-48 (SAH 446)
  • Staff salaries and wages books, 1854-1947 (SAH 75-101)
  • Staff salaries and wages books, 1872-1948 (SAH 447-469)
  • Staff salaries and wages books, 1949-53, 1962-63 (15 volumes - ACC 2003/88)
  • Registers of pensions, 1910-48 (SAH 102-107)
  • Nursing administrative records, 1952-74 (SAH 507-535)
  • Staff applications, 1885-1914 (SAH 745)
  • Estimated annual cost of uniform for male staff, 1893 (SAH 746)
  • Matron’s staff bedding and uniform issues books (with names of female staff), 1928-56, 1946-64 (SAH 747-748)
  • Staff medical records book, 1947-52 (SAH 749)
  • Photograph of Miss H D Myles, matron and Stephanie Payne, student nurse, 1965 (SAH 756)
  • Casualty books (recording injuries to patients and staff), 1930s-1970s (ACC 2010/161)
  • Nursing staff day and night ward report books, 1931-71 (ACC 2010/192)
  • League of Friends of St Andrew's Hospital minutes, correspondence and financial records, 1970-98 (SO 194) - the Friends included staff and patients’ relatives

St James Hospital, King’s Lynn

This was formerly the King’s Lynn Union Workhouse and was located in St James Road.

  • King’s Lynn Poor Law Incorporation/Union guardians' minutes, 1737-1869, 1835-1930 (C/GP 13/3-40, 666-697)
  • Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 8 minutes, 1930-48 (C/GC 8/1-11)
  • House committee minutes, 1928-31 (C/GP 13/991)
  • Half-yearly report of house committee, 1914-17 (C/GP 13/769)
  • Management committee minutes, 1948 (ACC 2001/20)
  • Officers and servants register, 1921-26 (C/GP 13/858)
  • Indoor officers’ salaries book, 1903-30 (C/GP 13 859)
  • Staff salaries and deductions books, 1906, 1920-30 (C/GP 13/860-862)
  • Nurses’ report books, 1924-25, 1928-30 (C/GP 13/847-849)
  • Nurses’ report book, 1931 (C/GC 8/31)

St Michael’s Hospital, Aylsham

This was formerly the Aylsham Union Workhouse.

  • Aylsham Poor Law Union guardians' minutes, 1836-1930 (C/GP 2-37)
  • House committee minutes, 1895-1930 (C/GP 108-111)
  • Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 2 minutes, 1937-48 (C/GC 2/2-5)
  • House sub-committee minutes, 1930-48 (C/GC 2/6-9)
  • Register of servants and apprentices, 1879-1903 (C/GP 1/492)
  • Officers’ superannuation registers, 1883-1928 (C/GP 1/307-309)
  • Servants’ wages book, 1905-10 (C/GP 1/306)
  • Nurses' report books, 1930-31, 1940 (C/GP 1/533-534)

See also Cromer Hospital.

Stow Vicarage Maternity Home

  • Midwives' register of births, 1948 (ACC 2001/47)

Swaffham Victoria Cottage Hospital

Established in 1888 and extended in 1932.

  • Management committee minutes, 1931-37 (ACC 2001/20)
  • House committee minutes, 1947-74 (ACC 2001/20)

Swainsthorpe

See Vale Hospital.

Thorpe St Andrew

See St Andrew’s Hospital; Norfolk Emergency War Hospital.

Vale Hospital, Swainsthorpe

This was formerly the Henstead Poor Law Union Workhouse.

  • Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 5 minutes (including Swainsthorpe House Committee), 1930-48 (C/GC 5/1-8)
  • Swainsthorpe house committee minutes, 1939-48 (C/GC 5/10-11)

Watton Victoria Cottage Hospital

Built in 1899 with additions in 1904, 1907 and 1933.

  • Attleborough, Wicklewood and Watton house committee minute books, 1948-67 (ACC 2002/256)
  • Staff salaries and wages registers, 1948-49 (ACC 2002/256)

Wayland Hospital, Attleborough

This was formerly the Wayland Poor Law Union Infirmary. It was built between 1912-14 and also known as Cades Hill House.

  • Wayland Poor Law Union guardians’ minutes, 1835-1930 (C/GP 20/1-46)
  • Norfolk County Council guardians committee no. 11 minutes, 1930-48 (C/GC 11/1-7)
  • Attleborough, Wicklewood and Watton house committee minute books, 1948-67 (ACC 2002/256)
  • Superannuation registers, 1861-1929 (C/GP 20/115-117)

Wells and District Cottage Hospital

Built in 1910.

  • Management committee minutes, 1911-48 (ACC 2008/268)
  • House committee minutes, 1949-63 (ACC 2008/268)

See also Cromer Hospital.

West Norfolk and King’s Lynn General Hospital

Established in 1834 and based in London Road, King's Lynn.

  • West Norfolk and King’s Lynn Hospital executive committee and monthly board minutes, 1902-48 (ACC 2001/20)
  • West Norfolk and King’s Lynn Hospital annual reports, 1861-1947 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King's Lynn Hospital committee minutes, 1909-31 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King's Lynn area hospitals management committee minutes, 1948-74 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King's Lynn area hospitals management committee annual reports, 1948-71 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King's Lynn Health District (later West Norfolk and Wisbech Health Authority) minutes, 1974-92 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King’s Lynn Health District (later West Norfolk and Wisbech Health Authority) management team minutes, 1974-90 (ACC 2001/20)
  • King’s Lynn Health District medical committee minutes, 1974-83 (ACC 2001/20)

West Norwich Hospital

This was formerly the Norwich Poor Law Incorporation/Union Workhouse Infirmary.

It later became known as Woodlands Hospital and is now the Norwich Community Hospital.

It was founded outside St Augustine’s Gates in 1827 and moved to Bowthorpe Road in 1859 and 1860. 

NB: The maternity department was known as The Lodge.

  • Minute books of Board of Guardians of Norwich Incorporation (later Norwich Poor Law Union), 1834-1930 (N/TC 3)
  • Norwich City Council social welfare committee minutes, 1929-49 (N/TC 31/1/1-8)
  • Norwich City Council health committee minutes, 1829-1949 (N/TC 15/15-27)
  • Annual reports of Norwich City Medical Officer of Health, 1906-07, 1918-21, 1923-71, include references to this institution to 1948 (N/WE 6/1): for a more complete set of MOH reports, 1873-1973, see ACC 2002/281.
  • Norwich [various hospitals], Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth (group six) hospital management committee minutes, 1948-74 (ACC 2002/264)
  • Norwich [various hospitals] house committee minute books, 1949-68 (ACC 2002/256)
  • Norwich [various hospitals] house committee nursing sub-committee minute book, 1949-69 (ACC 2002/256)
  • Registers of officers, 1887-1968 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Registers of staff: sisters, 1904-72 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Registers of staff: SERN nurses, 1958-72 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Registers of staff: SEN nurses, 1968-72 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Registers of staff: nurses, 1967-72 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Registers of staff: nursing auxiliaries, 1958-72 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Officers’ sick register, 1931-64 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Staff vaccination register, 1972-73 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Nursing staff off duty daily registers (relating to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and Jenny Lind Hospital and also, from 1950, West Norwich Hospital and Isolation Hospital, Norwich), 1943-64 (ACC 2000/13)
  • Workhouse wages book, 1902-04 (ACC 2009/172)
  • Norwich Poor Law Union superannuation registers, 1896-1930 (ACC 2009/231)
  • Workhouse wages book, 1902-04 (ACC 2009/172)
  • Register of births (including names of midwives), 1962-65 (N/WE 1/93)

Wicklewood 

See Hill House.