Nursing and midwifery records
Miscellaneous nursing and midwifery records
Miscellaneous nursing records
- Norfolk County Council register of nursing agencies, 1945 (ACC 2002/306)
- Norfolk County Council register of nursing homes, 1949-71 (ACC 2002/306)
- Great Yarmouth County Borough Council Health Department home nursing case registers, 1953-56 (Y/HE 172-173)
- Nurse Edith Cavell (1865-1915) - see our separate guide to records relating to her.
- Diary of Jessie Clementia Hayward describing her adventures as a nurse on board the troop ship Transylvania, 1917 (MC 2127/1, 441X7)
These are in addition to those found in records of individual hospitals listed above.
Diocese of Norwich
- Licensing of women to act as midwives and to carry out medical procedures (such as surgery, phlebotomy and bone setting) occurs in subscription books from 1676 (DN/SUB). For more detail see E H Carter, The Norwich Subscription Books A Study of the Subscription Books of the Diocese of Norwich 1637-1800 (London, 1937).
- List of schoolmasters and midwives, Lynn Deanery, [1722-23?] (DN/VSM 1/9).
- List of schoolmasters, surgeons and midwives in the archdeaconries of Norfolk and Norwich, 1753 (DN/VSM 1/2).
- List of schoolmasters, surgeons and midwives in the archdeaconries of Suffolk and Sudbury, 1753 (DN/VSM 1/3).
- List of schoolmasters, 1754-67; of curates, 1755-66; of surgeons and midwives, 1766-67 (DN/VSM 1/4).
Great Yarmouth County Borough Council Health Department
- Register of midwives, 1932-52 (Y/HE 143-144)
- Register of maternity homes, 1927-37 (Y/HE 155)
- Midwifery service case register, 1946-48 (Y/HE 156)
- Midwives' case books, 1946-72 (Y/HE 157-171)
- Norwich City Coroners’ inquest papers, 1669-1835, include occasional references to midwives (NCR Case 6a)
- Briarbank Maternity Home, Thetford (Mrs Sophia Healy owner, matron and midwife): cases register and case book, 1952-59 (ACC 2011/136)
- Midwife Joan Coleman's register of cases (mostly home deliveries in Norwich), 1936-37 (MC 2108/1, 921X8)
- Midwife's notebook listing births in Halvergate and surrounding parishes, 1859-68 (MC 2109/1-2, 921X8)
- Case books of J M Nickerson as a trainee midwife, 1948-49 (MC 1480/2-3, 812X8)