Church of England
- The Diocese of Norwich (DN)
- Dean and Chapter of Norwich (DCN)
- Archdeaconry of Norwich (ANW)
- Archdeaconry of Norfolk (ANF)
- Archdeaconry of Lynn and rural deaneries
- Peculiar of Castle Rising (ANW 29)
- Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich
- Peculiar of Great Cressingham (PGC)
- Church Commissioners (CHC)
- Parishes and probate
- The Diocese of Ely (DE)
A Diocese of Norwich has existed in some form since about 1095, when Bishop Herbert de Losinga moved the see from Thetford to Norwich and began building a cathedral there.
The diocese has at times over the centuries included all of the parishes in Norfolk (except Emneth, part of the Bishop of Ely's peculiar) and Suffolk, plus some parishes in parts of Cambridgeshire.
In 1837 the Cambridgeshire parishes and most of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury in west Suffolk were transferred to the Diocese of Ely.
More changes in 1914 left the diocese with the Norfolk parishes east of the River Great Ouse and the parishes in north-east Suffolk in and around Lowestoft.
In that same year, parishes in east Suffolk moved to the newly founded Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich.
As the Diocesan Record Office appointed by the Bishop of Norwich, the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) holds the records of the following.
To help you find the records in our NRO catalogue, series prefixes are listed in brackets.