Toggle mobile menu visibility

Exam results and pupil files

The two main types of school records held at the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) are log books and admission registers of closed schools.

We do not collect individual pupil files or information on pupils' examination results.

Great Yarmouth High School

The exception to this is Great Yarmouth High School, where some examination results and pupil files are held at the NRO.

  • For registers of internal and public examinations, 1905-19, see D/ED 9/387-393
  • For files of public examination results, 1926-82, see D/ED 9/394/1-6 and D/ED 9/395
  • For pupil files, including reports, records cards and references, 1948-87, see D/ED 494/1-86 and D/ED 495/1-13

However, please note that these files contain personal and sensitive information. They are usually closed to general public access for 75 years.

How can I find lost exam results?

Firstly, get in touch with your old school. It will often retain records of public exam results for several years after pupils have left.

However, it is unlikely that the school will be able to verify your grades if you took the exam more than 10 years ago.

If this is the case, you will need to contact the examination board whose exams you sat. This will also need to be done if the school you attended has closed, or it cannot find your results.

Your former school may be able to tell you which examination board it was if you have forgotten. Otherwise, you may have to search all the relevant boards.

Examination boards usually require proof of identity and charge a fee for searching their records. They may not be prepared to issue a replacement certificate, but may instead supply a certified statement of results.

They cannot guarantee to find your examination results, particularly if you took your exams many years ago.

Searching records of examination boards is not quite as daunting as it sounds. Although there have been quite a large number of boards in the past, they are now grouped together under three main awarding bodies.

Examination boards

Oxford, Cambridge and RSA (OCR)

OCR (opens new window) includes the examination boards most commonly used in Norfolk schools and can be a good place to begin your search. It now incorporates the following boards:

  • East Anglian Examinations Board (EAEB) - partial
  • East Midland Regional Examinations Board (EMREB)
  • Midland Examining Group (MEG)
  • Oxford and Cambridge Examinations and Assessment Council (OCEAC)
  • Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board (OCSEB)/(O&C)
  • Royal Society of Arts (RSA)
  • Southern Regional Examinations Board (SREB)
  • Southern Universities Joint Board for Schools Examinations (SUJB)
  • University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES)
  • University of Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations (UODLE)
  • The West Midlands Examination Board (WMEB)

Pearson (Previously Edexcel)

This group (opens new window) incorporates the following boards:

  • Business Education Council (BEC)
  • Business Technology Education Council (BTEC)
  • East Anglian Examinations Board (EAEB) - partial Edexcel
  • Joint Committee for Business Studies and Public Administration (JCBSPA)
  • London East Anglia Group (LEAG)
  • London Regional Examining Board (LREB) - Created 1979
  • Metropolitan and Middlesex Regional Examining Boards (M&MREB) - Created 1979:
    • Metropolitan Regional Examination Board (MREB)
    • Middlesex Regional Examination Board (MREB)
  • Pearson Edexcel
  • Technician Education Council (TEC)
  • University Entrance and Schools Examinations Council (UESEC)
  • University of London Examinations and Assessment Council (ULEAC)
  • University of London Schools Examination Board (ULSEB)

The Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA)  

AQA (opens new window) incorporates the following boards:

  • Associated Examining Board (AEB)
  • Associated Lancashire Schools Examinations Board (ALSEB)
  • Joint Matriculation Board (JMB)
  • Northern Examining Association (NEA)
  • Northern Examinations and Assessment Board (NEAB)
  • North Regional Examinations Board (NREB)
  • North West Regional Examinations Board (NWREB)
  • North West Secondary Schools Examinations Board (NWSSEB)
  • Southern Examining Group (SEG)
  • South Eastern Regional Examinations (SEREB)
  • Southern Universities' Joint Board (SUJB):
    • University of Bristol School Examinations Council (UBSEC)
  • South West Regional Examinations Board (SWREB)
  • Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Examinations Board (YHREB):
    • Yorkshire Regional Examinations Board (YREB)
    • The West Yorkshire and Lindsey Regional Examinations Board (TWYLREB)

Caring for your certificates

See our guide to caring for books and documents at home if you have examination or other certificates you wish to preserve.