Grammar and independent schools
After the Reformation many cathedral and monastic schools were re-founded as grammar schools, while others were established by the local gentry.
Several boarding and day grammar schools had been set up in Norfolk by the 1600s.
School endowments often enabled them to provide free or partially free education.
Most focused on teaching classical subjects at first, as required by their school statutes and endowments.
However, many began to teach new subjects such as science during the 19th century.
This culminated in the Grammar Schools Act 1840, which allowed the schools to teach subjects not specified in their founding statute.
The Norfolk Record Office (NRO) holds some records relating to grammar schools which are detailed in the following chapters.
If the document reference begins ACC, advanced notice is required to view. Contact us if you wish to see these records.
The majority of these schools retain their own records, so the schools should be contacted directly to inquire about what records they hold and what the access arrangements are.
Many independent schools in Norfolk began as grammar schools, particularly those with boarding pupils.
They were often called public schools, since they attracted pupils from beyond the local area.
The Public Schools Act 1868 stated that these schools had to have a constitution and set out regulations for appointing school governors.
Although there are records of a few independent schools in Norfolk held at the NRO, the majority retain their own records.