Our service costs include VAT at the current rate. Postage and packing are extra.
We sometimes apply costs in addition to the below. For example, for things like conservation (flattening or removing pins) or finding lots of items. We charge £54 per hour for this.
Photocopies are suitable for:
- Loose papers
- Flat documents that are no bigger than A3 when opened out
They’re not suitable for:
- Large documents
- Pages from bound volumes
- Tied, sewn or pinned together documents which need folding back to copy
- Multi-membrane rolls or seals
We charge a minimum of £18 for online orders.
- A4 or A3 photocopies from documents: £2 per sheet
- Photocopies of searchroom lists and other searchroom finding aids: 60p per sheet
Printout copies from microfilm or microfiche
Black and white printout copies can be produced from documents which are already available on microfilm or microfiche.
Our staff can give you printout copies or you can print them yourself. To do it yourself, buy a card at the Norfolk Record Office (NRO) reception desk. The card operates a self-service reader-printer in the searchroom.
We charge a minimum of £18 for online orders.
- A4 or A3 black and white printout copies supplied by our staff: £2 per sheet
- Self-service black and white printout copies: £6 per printout card. Each card gives you 10 copies.
Digital images are suitable for most document types. We supply them as electronic images (normally jpegs).
- Digital images you order in our searchroom are £13.50. You can order a maximum of three digital images from a single document for this cost. If you want more images from that document, they’ll be £2 each. However, if it’s more cost-effective, we’ll charge £54 per hour of work.
- Online digital image service is £18.00. You can order a maximum of six consecutive or sample images from a single document for this cost. If this doesn’t cover the whole document, we’ll give you an estimate of how much it will cost to complete the job.
Photography by visitors in the searchroom
For a cost, you can take pictures in the searchroom with your own camera. You can photograph original documents, microfilms or microfiche, and reference works.
- 30-minute photography permit: £4
- Photography permit (per day): £10.50
- Photography permit (per week): £35
- Photography permit (covers four weeks): £70
Copies of sound recordings
We base the cost of creating sound recording copies on how long it takes. We charge £54 per hour. This is the minimum we’ll charge you.
Reproduction, filming and broadcast fees
The prices for reproduction, filming and broadcasting:
- Filming facility fee (if you or TV companies film or do rostrum photography within NRO premises): £100 per hour
- Staff attendance time: £54 per hour
- Film/video flash fee for 10 seconds: £100
We charge extra for reproduction fees (per image) in addition to any duplication costs.
We won’t charge for publications with a print-run of 2,000 copies or less.
For publications with a print-run of more than 2,000 copies, we’ll charge:
- One language rights: £100
- World rights: £150
Conservation and digitization services
- Condition reports, consultation and conservation work: £54 per hour (to include travel time) or £325 per day
- Digitization services: £54 per hour (minimum charge)
- Bespoke boxes (900 micron archival grade board. Clamshell opening):
- Small (up to 225 x 150 x 70mm): £10.79
- Medium (up to 300 x 210 x 100mm): £13.19
- Large (up to 575 x 400 x 100mm): £19.19
Contact us for details of larger sizes, different styles, delivery prices and discounts for bulk orders.
Room hire at Norfolk Record Office
If you make a provisional booking, you’ll need to secure it in writing 24 hours after making the provisional booking.
You must cancel your bookings in writing. If you need to cancel your booking, we reserve the right to make a cancellation charge.
We don’t normally accept bookings more than three weeks in advance. We also don’t accept block bookings. However, we’ve introduced an in-advance booking fee for meeting rooms in the Archive Centre.
If you need catering, you’ll need to arrange this yourself. If you’re external, we can arrange catering with Norse on your behalf (for a small charge).
You’ll need to pay additional charges to the below for breakages or necessary cleaning.
Green room costs
- Local authorities:
- £120 half day or evening
- £168 for a full day
- £198 half day or evening
- £240 for a full day
Glass cube (booked with green room) costs
- £48 half day or evening
- £84 for a full day
- £72 half day or evening
- £114 for a full day
Long Gallery (out of normal hours only) costs
- £132 half day or evening
- £168 full day
- £168 half day or evening
- £252 full day
In-advance booking fee costs for Archive Centre
Local authorities: £48
- External: £66
Other fees and charges
See costs for searches, transcriptions and translations
- See costs for copies of birth, death and marriage certificates in Norfolk
- Motor vehicle registration search (an hour’s search and copy if found): £54
- Certification of facsimile copies of documents, per image (does not include creating the facsimile): £26.50
- Certification of transcripts, per 100 words (does not include making the transcript): £26.50
- Annual charge for inclusion on record searchers' list: £55
- Certified copies of entries of baptisms or marriages in church registers held by the NRO. VAT is not applicable to these prices:
- Baptism certificate: £13
- Marriage certificate (pre-1837): £13
- Marriage certificate (post-1837): £9