Toggle mobile menu visibility

Grammar schools

King's Lynn Grammar School

The King's Lynn Grammar School is believed to have originated from a deed of gift of land in Gaywood, made by Thomas Thorysby in 1543 to the Mayor and burgesses.

The gift was established to fund the appointment of a priest, as Master of the charnel-house chapel at St Margaret's, to teach grammar and song to six boys.

The school is now known as the King Edward VII Academy (opens new window).

  • For deeds and papers relating to the King's Lynn Grammar School and related charities, 1408-1921, see list KL/C 58/1-45. These records are held at King's Lynn Borough Archives and this collection does not include records of pupils or admissions.
  • For a history of the King's Lynn Grammar School, see M Walker, King Edward VII School: a Centenary Celebration (Brighton, 2005).
  • A Avis, A Reminiscence of King Edward VII Grammar School, King's Lynn (privately published, 1991) is available on the searchroom shelves at the NRO.