Request copies of documents
You can request copies of documents from us to help with your research.
How do I find documents at the NRO?
You can also contact us to see if we have the information available.
What kinds of copies can I obtain?
The main options are:
- Photocopying (black and white or colour)
- Printout copies from microfilm or microfiche
- Microfilm (for viewing on a microfilm reader)
- Duplicates of existing microfiches (for viewing on a microfiche reader)
- Digital images
- Copies of sound recordings and electronic data
- Photocopies and searchable pdfs of catalogues of archives
Most documents can be copied by at least one method.
However, some of our holdings cannot be copied because of copyright and other restrictions.
What do copies cost?
Details are set out in our list of fees and charges, along with descriptions of the types of copies available.
We offer free advice as to the most suitable method of copying particular documents.
However, we will charge for the time taken on detailed estimates of costs.
How do I make a request for a copy?
How do I get a copy of a birth/death/marriage certificate?
See our page on ordering copy certificates.